A Lawyer Who Handles DWI Defense Law in St. Charles MO Can Help You

by | Jun 30, 2017 | Lawyers

Top Stories



A person who is convicted of their first DUI, with no extenuating circumstances, faces up to six months in jail, up to $500 in fines, up to six months with a suspended license, and the possibilities they’ll need to have an IID (interlock ignition device) on their vehicle when they can drive again. Extenuating circumstances, like the DUI charge resulting from an accident or being far over the legal limit when stopped, can increase the penalties a person might face.

The only way to minimize or eliminate these penalties is for the person to work with a lawyer who regularly handles DWI Defense Law in St. Charles MO. They will need to ensure they find a lawyer to speak with as quickly as possible after they are arrested because the longer they wait, the less the lawyer can do to help them. If they contact a lawyer immediately, the lawyer might be able to obtain evidence that can help them avoid a conviction by showing they weren’t actually over the legal limit when they were arrested. This is more difficult to do the day after their arrest.

If the person has been arrested in the past for a DUI, they could face further penalties because of their prior arrest. However, this state does have a look back period of five years, which means the lawyer can have their previous record suppressed if they have not received a DUI in the previous five years. This will mean that even though they have a conviction on their record, it was long enough ago that it would not count and they will be facing the same sentence as someone who was arrested and convicted for the first time. This can significantly help reduce the penalties they’re facing if they are convicted again.

If you’ve been arrested and charged with a DUI, you need to speak with a lawyer about DWI Defense Law in St. Charles MO right away. The faster you contact them, the more they’ll be able to help you through this situation, and you may be able to avoid a conviction. Find more information at the website for a lawyer today or contact them now to speak about your situation.