Whether a person is a tenant or a landlord, they have certain rights, and if these rights are being violated, they would need to contact a lawyer who specializes in landlord tenant law in Chicago.
How a Lawyer Can Help Tenants
There are several circumstances where a lawyer can help a tenant whose rights were being violated; some of these circumstances include:
• Being evicted: if a tenant is evicted from their apartment for no good reason, a lawyer can represent them and plead their case during the eviction hearing.
• Tenant discrimination: if a tenant is being discriminated against due to their race, beliefs or sexual orientation, a lawyer will represent them in a discrimination lawsuit.
• Repairs are not being made: unfortunately, not all landlords care about their tenants or their living conditions. If necessary repairs are not being made to the rental property, a lawyer will file a motion for the landlord to appear before a judge.
• Tenants are injured or become ill: if a tenant is injured or becomes ill on the property due to a landlord’s negligence, a lawyer will file a personal injury lawsuit against the landlord, getting the tenant the compensation that they deserve.
How a Lawyer Can Help Landlords
While tenants have rights, landlords do as well, and there are several circumstances where a landlord may need the help of a lawyer. Some of these circumstances include:
• Evictions: if a tenant is not paying their rent on time or if they are being a nuisance to other tenants in the building, the landlord has the right to evict them. Many landlords do not know much about the eviction process, therefore, hiring a lawyer is a good idea.
• A tenant is suing the landlord: if a tenant is suing their landlord for discrimination or personal injury, it is important that the landlord hire a lawyer, even if the tenant’s accusations are baseless.
• Tenants filed for bankruptcy: if a tenant files for bankruptcy, it is important that the landlord hire a lawyer, especially if the tenant owes back rent.
Both landlords and tenants can benefit from hiring a lawyer who specializes in landlord tenant law in Chicago. The attorneys at Starr, Bejgiert, Zink & Rowells law firm can help if a landlord’s or tenant’s rights are being violated. To know more connect with them on Facebook.